Saturday, March 3, 2018

Random Post 2

By the time we were set to leave India, I had had enough of it.  Not that there was any one thing that weighed on my psyche, but the noise, dust, crowds, and the ever present tang of urine was beginning to take its toll on me.  I was happy to be at the airport and glad to get on our flight to the UK.  

As we spent time telling Anna and Andy about our trip, and filling in Lyn and Alan as well, I began to feel a bit nostalgic for the street scenes.  I commented to Anna, that when I next washed my hair, I'd be getting rid of the last of India.  That saddened me.

Bill has always said that as one takes a plane away from India, you start conversations with your seat mate and discuss how you were glad to see the end of your Indian experience.  As the plane nears its destination, however, you are starting to think about your next trip to the sub continent.  

It took more than a plane ride, but as I am writing this now, I am wistful about my time in Tamil Nadu.  In its totality, the trip was eye opening, breath taking, (both literal and figuratively) as well as a journey into a cuisine that I had familiarity but only with the North Indian foods.  My taste buds still long for Idli, Sambar, Dosa, and Dal Makhani.  I can keep these close to my heart by preparing them often, but my versions will not come with the noise, dust, crowds, tang, and cows that wander the streets in Tamil Nadu.

Perhaps I am ready to venture into northern India.  Only time will tell.  The calmness of the south was very soothing as were the gentle ways of the people that live there.  The chatter of car horns and motorbike horns were never in anger, but were notification that someone else was near by.  

I also miss the call to prayer that echoed 5 times a day in most of the towns and cities that we visited.  It served, for me, as a reminder that I should take out time to be thankful for the opportunities that I am lucky enough to have and take advantage of.  My life would not be this way but for Bill.  While it is not pray time, I want to thank him for his never ending generosity, kindness, and thoughtfulness.  I don't know where I would be without his mellowing influence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment